Monday 10 August 2015

Searching for that Elusive... Something.

I love raiding.

It's the most fun I have had playing a computer game since we had 6 people huddled round an Amiga playing Sneech in my Uni halls of residence.

Just like way back then (I'm not saying how far back) though, it is the spirit and friendship of the people that make it so much fun and, without that spirit, raiding doesn't hold the same appeal for me regardless of the progress.

I've only properly raided in two guilds before this one and the atmosphere has been excellent in both so I didn't realise how different it could be, or how important that atmosphere was to my enjoyment.

Needless to say, I didn't find that spirit in the raids. 

Wipes and mistakes were met with accusations and finger-pointing, even rage at times.  This created a tension in the raids, an air of negativity and fear of making a mistake rather than the relaxed camaraderie I was looking for.

Progress was the most important thing here but it came at the expense of fun as far as I was concerned which is definitely not what I wanted. 

I'm not even saying it was the wrong approach, maybe they found fun in killing Mythic bosses so Heroic was just a chore to overcome along the way, but it was the wrong approach for me so I decided to move on.

Progress is important to me but not so important that I can't enjoy failing along the way.

A new realm, a new guild, and hopefully a new raid team who feel the same.

4 comments:

  1. OK well that explains a lot. And I can totally understand your stance and attitude and need for change. But gee I was excited reading about your mythic adventures!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, I was really looking forward to more Mythic adventures too.

      It was definitely the most progress-oriented guild I have been in but it has made me wonder what you have to trade for that progress?
      Are all guilds at that level the same as this one?

      Delete
    2. I have rarely come across a mythic guild that is not like that. I listen in on my friends raids and it's much more intense and stressful with people being called out heaps more.

      Delete
    3. I had expected (even hoped) that people would be called out more but not in this manner. It was always so negative that it just stopped the raid from being any fun.

      I want a guild that plays at this level but still has fun, still has time to help people improve if they make mistakes.

      It makes me think it's my expectations from a guild that are unreasonable rather than anything else.


      Delete