Tuesday 9 February 2016

Gold...

The Push...
Around the time Lei Shen was falling and we were taking our first (of many, many) steps into Siege of Orgrimmar, I was very active at my local Auction House.

I had set my self a goal to make a million gold!

I'd been dabbling a fair amount from the middle of Cata to that point so I was about halfway there anyway but it needed a push.

I decided to diversify my, mainly JC/Ench, portfolio by going back to my Glyph roots and also adding in crafted PvP gear and some flasks/potions.

I was targeting high-turnover goods but staying away from the extremely lucrative but slower-moving Transmog market. 
This decision was primarily based on the knowledge that my incredibly poor taste in transmog would undoubtedly leave me with bags full of crap that nobody would ever want.

I'm sure I could have looked up some guide online but I just decided to stick to markets that I knew and understood fairly well.

So, with TSM controlling the whole enterprise, I had 7 crafting alts, 3 storage alts, 1 purchasing alt and 3 sales alts.

As you can probably imagine, the hardest part was setting it all up and it didn't take too long after that to reach my goal.

I moved all the gold on to one char and took a screenshot with my gold cap then pretty much ceased all gold-making activities.
It had been far too labour-intensive, even with TSM, and I had achieved my goal so I was done.

Warlords of Draenor...
Little changed in the many intervening months before release and I entered the new expansion with a very healthy gold balance.

Unlike any other time though, I started to spend spend spend!

In the race to be prepared for that first raid night, there were so many things to buy!
Ridiculously expensive crafting materials, which I had previously laughed at my friend for buying, were bought without a second thought.

The 665ilvl BoEs from the Salvage Yard were incredibly powerful compared to dungeon blues so commanded a price to match.

The gold reserves dropped suddenly in those first weeks of the expansion but it didn't stop there. 

There were always more crafting mats to buy, or just the fully-crafted items, plus a steady flow of BoEs as each raid opened up.

Then there were alts who wanted a shortcut to skip the dungeon/early lfr grind, or re-speccing them at 100 into a tank/healer spec.

Alts who needed mats to level their profs and the daily profession cooldowns.

Stuff to buy all along the way.

It was only recently that I even looked to see how much gold I had left, or how little to be more precise.

Well... it wasn't pretty I can tell you.

With pretty much nothing left to show for it, even in a world of pixelated possessions, I had spent around 750k.
Virtually all of the gear had been replaced in HFC, even the alts' gear had been replaced by Empowered Baleful or Garrison drops.

I don't want to repeat that kind of spending in the next expansion but I do want to be able to spend freely so I need to replenish those gold reserves.

Do I re-install TSM and get the gang all working again?
To be honest, I don't have the energy for it.  My AH-camping days are well and truly behind me.

So I need to find another way...

I need a plan!

2 comments:

  1. There must be a way to utilise that rogue of yours to rob the horde banks 😀

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, I'll give it a go!
      Most of my trips into horde cities have not ended well, will let you know how it turns out

      Delete