Wednesday 9 September 2015

A Worthwhile Pug...?

Does anyone actually like pugging?

I hate it!

I don't know whether it's the ridiculous requirements to even get in, the toxic attitude of people in the groups, or just a lack of confidence around strangers, but I avoid pugging as much as possible.

To make things worse I've somehow missed Archimonde and don't have the kill on any difficulty...
I was away when the patch dropped so missed early attempts
I switched guilds and they focused on Heroic progression, killing Archimonde normal on an off-night I couldn't attend.
I switched guilds again before killing Archi HC and my current guild hasn't made it that far yet (although we are closing in fast, now 12/13HC).

So I was sat at 710ilvl with 12/13HC under my belt but unable to get into a fresh normal pug because I haven't killed Archimonde!

Extremely frustrating.

I don't expect random people to take my word for knowing the tactics but you can safely bet that most of these runs aren't getting as far as Archi anyway.

I spent some time looking through the Group Finder for a run that wasn't asking for the achievement and eventually found one: Fresh run Achi preferred.  I'm in!

"No, I don't have the achi but I have plenty of XP"
"Ok, we'll give you a go"

Mighty kind of you.

I then proceeded to top the dps on all the fights we did, anything from 20% to 50% higher than 2nd place.

RAGE!!!
To be fair to pugs it began fairly smoothly once we were in there. 

There was some random raging from a DK who wanted to go to Gorefiend before Council and Kilrogg, not sure why.  Very strange.

We did wipe on Kilrogg as people got a little ragged and a few extra bloods appeared.  Still almost got him though, wipe at 450k HP.
Bit of raging at a healer who missed the portal twice, they left, we brought in another healer and we killed it.

Next wipes, and the end of the run for me, came on Xhul'horac.
It was all quite messy on both attempts we had and the finger-pointing began in earnest.

Some people weren't switching to adds,
Some were dropping fire wherever they felt like it,
Some were not moving from fire
Most people were doing ok though and I thought we would probably kill it on the next attempt.

But the finger-pointing hadn't finished, lots of recounts and skada tables were linked and somehow the blame landed squarely on... the healers!

Even now I have no idea why the healers were blamed but, suddenly, it was like a witch-hunt!

The attacks on the healers commenced, covering everything from talent choices to transmog, until all 4 of them left the raid.

There were a couple of voices supporting the healers (me and a mage who was also doing the fight properly) but we were drowned out by the vitriol of the angry mob.

I took this as my cue to leave too.

My conclusion is that pugs are generally fair-weather runs. 
While the sun is shining, everyone is happy.  But, as the clouds close in and those first drops of rain start to fall, it's every person, dwarf and spacegoat for themselves as they run for cover.

Was it worthwhile?
Well, I wasn't expecting to reach Archimonde so the only loot I needed was from Gorefiend, tier legs. 
And they dropped!
I now have my 4-set

If the only function of pugging is to get some loot rather than the experience itself then it was definitely worthwhile.

I won't be rushing to join the next pug though.  And I won't be pugging anything on my alts until I have killed Archimonde in some way.

Loot just doesn't seem worth the hassle.

No comments:

Post a Comment