Monday 15 June 2015

Obligatory Post About Flying...

As everyone else is doing a post (or two or three) on the subject I thought I would jot down my tuppence-worth on the subject...

I don't care.

Will that do?

I suppose I could flesh it out a bit...

I really don't care.

Ok, a little bit more...
There is absolutely no reason for me to want flying in Draenor.
Flight paths are excellent, Ogre Waygates are well-placed and I have the Mole Machine and Aviana's Feather to help too.

What would flying give me?
It would save me a few seconds travelling to the raid...
I could collect the treasures I have missed... (I wouldn't because if you aren't doing it properly, what's the point?)
If I did pet-battling, I would save a few seconds travelling between trainers...
Show off my cool flying mounts... (to who?  they are all in their garrisons)
Gathering professions... (in my garrisons anyway)
Archaeology... Ok, I'll give you that one

I'm afraid my time just isn't so important that I need to shave a few seconds off my journey to the raid instance (If it was, I probably wouldn't be playing at all... or writing blog posts).

I feel these days that efficiency has become the over-riding factor for so many people, as if they are trying to min-max every aspect of their play.
Enjoyment is often compromised to reach that ultimate efficiency, and that's not a compromise I am willing to make.
This compromise doesn't necessarily apply to the flying argument but the point is that efficiency is just not very high on my priority list...

so I really don't care about flying.



2 comments:

  1. LOL Wes :D
    Lack of flying would not stop me playing, but at least now I can AFK somewhere high in the sky and not worry I'll be dead when I get back from some random mob hitting me whilst I am afk.
    I'm glad to see it, I'm happy others are happy about it, as far as I can see nobody is upset about seeing flying coming back except those people whinging about having to do achievements to get it... which to me means they weren't that serious about the game anyway and would probably have stopped playing with or without flying.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha, I completely forgot about lifting off when you need to take a quick break. Definitely use flying for that!

    There are a couple of other little things too... for example I like to perch on top of Stormwind Keep's flagpole when I am crafting/recruiting or whatever. Shrine in MoP, Big tower in Dalaran, I would just land somewhere precarious while I was hanging around in the city.

    I like the requirements for flying too (some people call it hoops to jump through, I call it playing the game), it seems like the perfect compromise.

    Blizzard want us to experience their content in what they think is the best way based on their design (Whether or not they should be able to design better content including flight is another debate) but I didn't see any reason to restrict those that wanted flight if they have completed that content.

    The big surprise for me was that it extended to all level 90+ chars on the account

    ReplyDelete