Wednesday 28 November 2018

Freedom...

Had a great raid last night!

I haven't become an amazing Warlock overnight so I was still a bit rubbish.

And we didn't kill anything, just banged our heads against Mythrax for a few hours.

Still had a great night!

Because I wasn't Raid Leading.

I had missed the first two nights of progress on Mythrax plus couldn't get my microphone to work, so there was actually no option for me to be RL.  We've already set up my replacement to lead this boss anyway but it still added to my feeling of relaxation as we entered the raid.

For the first couple of pulls, the fight felt incredibly frantic as I tried to work things out and find my position in the arena.  All Ranged have to be spread for the majority of the fight so you need to find your space, then guard it and shoo away anyway who encroaches.

Once I had found a spot, it all settled down.  There are times when everything points your way and you spend more time running than fighting but usually the abilities are spread around the ranged team.
It's a recent nerf to the fight that has made one key ability only affect ranged which makes it more of a pain for me but thank god, because it would have been a nightmare if it affected the melee.  We had visions of Argus all over again.

Anyway, once I had a feel for the fight and my positioning, it calmed down and I could actually work at improving.  This is not something I feel like I have been able to do before now, leading took precedence over my own performance, I was just muddling through each fight trying to watch everyone else.

I realised that this is an aspect of raiding that I had really missed without even thinking about it, the gameplay min-maxing and the awesome sense of achievement as you improve until you eventually nail the fight... then cock it all up on the actual kill so you look like a moron on the kill vid but whatever.
Of course, that sense of achievement was replaced by the team nailing the fight and us getting the kill and, don't get me wrong, I loved that but I want the other feeling.

Am I just selfish?
Maybe I am, I certainly feel quite selfish at the moment.  I'm not a selfish player though, I'll still be offering to do the dirty jobs in the raid that wreck your dps.
Hmmm... that's not helping, still feel selfish.

I don't care, maybe it's just my time to be selfish.

No comments:

Post a Comment