Wednesday 21 December 2016

More PvP Shenanigans...

I enjoyed completing the 4-BG weekly quest so much that, shock horror, I decided to do some more PvP without the added incentive!


I feel like I'm getting the hang of it a bit more now, at least the tactical element of it anyway. 
I do get sucked into some pointless 1v1 battles in the middle of nowhere from time to time and I know that I should just ignore it and help the team with whatever objective we're chasing... but it's so much fun! :-)


Most of my PvP time is spent trying to keep to the edges of big battles, picking off people who are already engaged in a fight so less likely to turn around and go for me.
If I do garner too much attention, I run away  :-)


This is quite effective for the most part, against random uncoordinated groups, and is particularly good for peeling attackers from our flag carrier... with the aim to annoy them enough so they turn to attack me and follow as I run away.


There is something about 1v1 combat though that is so much fun... unless it's against a warrior.
Is it just me?
Are they designed to just destroy Shaman?
Is it revenge for Thrall beating Garrosh in WoD?


They jump on me and within seconds I'm dead, lucky if I can get a cast off at them... I don't know what I am doing wrong considering I am not really getting chance to do anything at all... perhaps I am just not running away fast enough :-)


If anyone has any tips for beating warriors, please let me know.
I'm going to level my own warrior up just for some PvP fun and to see if I have the same effect on other shaman in the world (spoiler: I'll be just as rubbish as a Warrior)


Against other classes I seem to hold my own a lot better, I even do quite well against a couple of classes so I'm guessing they are in a terrible state at the moment!
I find dealing with most melee very difficult but put me up against a DK and it's a lot of fun, a constant game of cat and mouse as he tries to close on me while I do everything I can to keep him away.
In a stand up slugfest, the melee seems to virtually always win which kind of makes sense but some seem to have far more ways of keeping on top of me than I have of getting away... I'm looking at you, feral druid!
DK and Paladin have less gap-closing capability and it makes for a more interesting fight, for me anyway.


That cat and mouse game can be a lot of fun, I was in Twin Peaks a few days ago and had three melee attacking me (fighting in mid, of course).  I knew I was going to lose the fight but I just wanted to keep them occupied while my team got on with doing something that could actually win us the battle...
Thunderstorm to knock them all away, then I ran.  They used various abilities to catch up to me quickly so I jumped off the edge a steep hill, they all followed but I had turned in mid-air and used Gust of Wind to get back to the top!
It was hilarious!
I still couldn't kill any of them and I had nowhere to go, they just ran around and back up the hill then killed me, but it was worth it. I just wish I had thought of hitting /sleep while I waited for them to get back :-)


I think it's that side of PvP which has brought me so much enjoyment lately, the need to be creative with using your spellbook, the terrain and anything else available that you just don't get with PvE.  Even mythic raiding and high mythic+ dungeons are more about min-maxing and practice rather than creativity.


I'm not sure how long I will carry on with the PvP but considering it began as just trying to clear a quest in my log, I'm now almost finished with the Honor talent tree and looking at artefact appearances for prestige levels... and I still haven't got the bloody legs for my transmog!



No comments:

Post a Comment