Friday 11 November 2016

The White Whale Rises Again...

Welcome to my annual attempt to gather enough courage together for some tanking!


An opportunity has arisen, which I won't go into right now, that might just give me the platform I need to finally overcome my fears of tanking... so the rush is on to be ready as quickly as possible.


'Fear' is probably overstating it a bit, and it's not of the tanking itself, it's the random people you have to group with that are the issue.
There is so little patience in the LFD that it can be quite daunting and it's certainly not an atmosphere conducive to learning a new role.


The Paladin is up to 105 and has completed the 'end of zone' dungeons for Azsuna and Valsharaj... Eye of Azshara and Darkheart Thicket.
These are two dungeons I have done plenty of times on my Shaman, particularly DHT, so I know them quite well and wasn't expecting to have many issues tanking them.


In DHT I did lose my healer when he accidentally pulled an extra pack of trash near the start, I couldn't get them all off him quite quickly enough and he died.  I managed to stay alive until he ran back in which was nice and he apologised so I'm calling it shared blame.
EoA was very simple, there isn't really much that can go wrong in this dungeon on normal mode.


As I said though, tanking itself is not the real issue.  The EoA run had a feral druid who was a little bit... keen. 
He moaned that I wasn't going fast enough.  I'm not really sure how I could have gone much faster to be honest, I've done the dungeon many times and did the same pulls as every other tank I've seen.
Maybe I was waiting too long before moving on to the next pack but I was going just before they died... I'm not really sure what the problem was and the druid just moaned rather than enlighten me.


Bear in mind that this was in a normal, levelling dungeon so the tanking was never even an issue.  Fast forward to the more challenging content at max level, where I am actually trying to learn how to tank properly and that attitude just intensifies.


If mistakes on how fast to pull are not tolerated, what reaction will actual tanking mistakes provoke?


Regardless, I really want to be a good tank.  And the only way to become a good tank is by pushing through this fear and getting in some practice.


Most people at this point would just suggest developing a thicker skin, not caring what random people on the internet say or think, but that is easier said than done.


I am working on it all the time though and improving, the aim is to reach a level of confidence in my tanking ability that allows me to step in and run content with friends at the level of my dps and healer alts.
I'm not talking about pushing mythic raid progression, just being able to run normal/heroic raids or mythic dungeons.


Could this be my year?

No comments:

Post a Comment